Monday, January 30, 2012

How's my translation of this Japanese sentence?

今までは卑怯にも身長差で遅れをとったが...

"Until now, besides unfairness, I was falling behind because of the difference in height ..."



Please no Google translations|||I believe the asker wants us to review the correctness of his translation from Japanese to English, not the other way round.



I think his translation is correct except for the 卑怯にも part. I don't think "besides unfairness" is the right translation.



The difficult part is how to translate 卑怯にも。 「~にも」 in 「卑怯にも」 means

「???なことだが」, or "as indeed...".



The sentence therefore can be rewritten as: 今までは、卑怯なことだが、身長差で遅れをとったが...



The author of the original Japanese sentence is blaming the unfairness of his falling behind because others took advantage of their superior height.



Thus, my translation would be:



"Until now, as indeed it was unfair, I fell behind because of the difference in height..."|||Frankly speaking, your translation sounds natural, but doesn't make sense.

”Until now" "今までは" is OK.
"besides ..." means "...に加えて"
"unfairness" means "不公平"
"fall behind" "遅れをとる is OK.
"because of ..." means "...のせいで"
"the difference in height" "身長差" is OK.

Overall,
今までは,不公平に加えて,身長差のせいで
遅れをとっていました...

Only from this sentence, I don't guess what the unfairness means concretely.

I said something cruel above, but I can tell how hard you're learning Japanese.
Japanese is difficult, especially the usage of "助詞" like "で"
Certainly "because of ..." can be sometimes translated as "...で,"
but "身長差で" sounds like "fall behind someone in terms of the difference in height."

For Japanese people, the usage of prepositions like "in""on""for" is very difficult.
Good luck!|||I understood it as "though unfair,..."

but....
  • chrome apps
  • gas mileage calculator
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment