Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Translate this Possibly German writing for me?

I bought a dagger from a store Tennessee I think and it is a knife with a Swashtika on it and it's supposed to be a replica I believe of a Nazi officers dagger, on the blade of the dagger it says (it's a little difficult to read it is in a gothic handwriting):





Webeit ndelt





I can't find translations on google translate, what could this mean?|||The fraktura font is hard to read if you're not used to it and you'll get the letters mixed up, because they don't look the same as our now used font.





The inscription says "Arbeit adelt" ("Work glorifies/ennobles")





... you can google for the history and propaganda background of this motto. I don't want to do it, because even for finding out the answer to your question I landed on websites that glorify the Nazi-time, and I clearly don't want to spend any time on them.





EDIT: You might want to check if the inscription of your dagger resembles the original one... Type "Arbeit adelt" into your Google Box, and go for image search. You'll find find images of these daggers.


If it is the same, then "Arbeit adelt" is definetely the right inscription...





BTW, why you would want to get one of these remains a mystery to me... but that's only my opinion...|||this same question was asked on chacha.com on Sep 10, 2009.


No results. A picture of the " gothic handwriting " would be nice.|||As it is, those are not German words, not complete ones anyway. I speak German fluently and can't even imagine what it could mean, even with letters missing. No wonder google couldn't translate it for you. Gothic handwriting can become quite creative, so it may be that you're misreading it.|||It's most likely 'old German' and should be: Arbeit adelt

No comments:

Post a Comment